Posted by Gregg Potts

In 2004, thousands of Christians went to theatres to view the movie The Passion of the Christ. Churches across the country even purchased tickets for entire viewings of the movie and then, gave those tickets away to people hoping they would view the movie and then, receive Christ as Savior. I have seen the movie three times and it was very, very strong. It led me to re-dedicate my life to Christ.
The movie was directed by Hollywood star, Mel Gibson. Gibson is Roman Catholic. I gained a greater appreciation for Mr. Gibson as a result of his desire to go “against the grain” in Hollywood and produce a film like The Passion Of The Christ.
This past week, Mr. Gibson made headlines with news of his arrest by Los Angeles police for drunken driving and some other charges. And, as if that wasn’t enough, evidently, during this experience, Mr. Gibson supposedly made some anti-semitic remarks to the police officer.
By now, you may have seen pictures that have circulated on the internet showing Mr. Gibson partying in a Los Angeles bar just prior to the arrest. Mr. Gibson has apologized twice to the Jewish people for his anti-semitic remarks and has announced that he will undergo treatment for an alcohol problem he has dealt with throughout his adult life.
So what is the Christian to make of all this?
My initial thought was “Man, this is not good.” It’s sad that a man that was so visible in the media two years ago during the release of the Passion of the Christ made this kind of mistake. It really gives the secular news media and non-Christians another reason to attack the church as just a group of “hypocrites.” That’s unfortunate.
Then, I was moved that Mel Gibson admitted he had a problem with alcohol. It touched me that he was willing to say “I have a problem with this.” As Christians, all of us have various problems. We all face various temptations. Mel Gibson admitted he has a problem with alcohol.
I am also glad that he is seeking treatment and that he has apologized to the Jewish community. And, he has seemed sincere in his apologies.
So, how is the Christian to view Mel Gibson?
A fake?
A farce?
I don’t know the man but I don’t think so..
Was he wrong in what he did? Certainly.
Getting a DUI and the remarks he made about Jewish people are wrong. Very wrong.
But, he also admitted that he made a mistake. Will he be punished for his mistake? He is already being punished. It’s realistic, that in the eyes of many people he may never gain the respect back from them that he has lost with this incident.
He’s getting help. At least that’s what the news reports have said.
My heart is a bit torn. I really appreciated Gibson’s production of the Passion of the Christ. It was an excellent film. It was wonderful to think that there are some Christians in Hollywood.
Then, this happens.
How should the Christian respond?
Well, this is one Christian who believes in grace. All of us have made mistakes. I have. You have. Mel Gibson has.
Does Jesus still love him? Absolutely!
Can he be forgiven? Most definitely… if he asks for it.
What he did was wrong. Very wrong.
However, Jesus said, “he who is without sin, cast the first stone.”
Before we start casting stones at Mel Gibson, let’s examine our own lives.
Several years ago, I made a statement in a sermon that in decision making, if I had to come down on the side of “law or grace”, I was going to come down on grace.
I’m coming down on the side of grace in my feelings toward Mel Gibson.

This entry was posted on 07 August 2006 at Monday, August 07, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Time to update. :)
Hope you are doing well.

9:42 PM

Post a Comment