Posted by Gregg Potts

My wife and some friends have told me for several years that I am "OCD." That refers to obsessive compulsive. That means you have a tendency to focus on things. I admit; I do that. I get something on my mind and I have difficulty getting it off. That is good and bad. It's good in that there have been times when I begin a a project and I stay focused on it until it's done. I mean, I tackle it. It's bad in that at times I get something on my mind and I remind someone of a particular task about a zillion times. lol

Well, in the past couple of weeks the "OCD" deal has been good. A few weeks ago I became convicted about the number of periodicals and newspapers I read and receive. I have always enjoyed reading. I can get lost in a book and it helps me relax and learn which is good. But, you can get too much stuff.

For years I have subscribed to lots of periodicals. Some of them are "preacher" things that have good illustrations for sermons. Some of them are magazines like Time, Newsweek, etc.. For years I have subscribed to Sports Illustrated.

I get so many that they accumulate... and they accumulate in a bad spot... right beside my chair. In the past, at times, it has looked like a mountain! We have lost kids under them!. JK

Well, a few weeks ago my wife went to cheer camp at UGA and I decided to surprise her when she got home by having the "mountain" cleaned up. So, I started sorting/discarding etc... I threw away... I'm embarrased by this... three trash bags full of old periodicals and I have some more that I hung on to.

I have also cancelled some subscriptions. I now get one paper per day and there are days when I don't have time to read it! This process has helped me to focus more on Bible study and prayer. And, it's not over. I'm still trimming.

Are there some things you think you can't do without that you need to trim away in your life?

Jesus said "Seek ye first the kingdom of God..." (Matt. 6:33).

This entry was posted on 09 August 2007 at Thursday, August 09, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

good for you!

you know what you ought to do is get with the 21st century and learn how to do an RSS aggregator - it feeds headlines from blogs, news sources, etc directly to your own personalised page - my.yahoo.com and iGoogle are 2 good examples - see here for my page...

8:36 AM

Post a Comment