Posted by Gregg Potts

I'm a sentimental dude. I guess that's a little weird, since I'm male. But, that's the way I'm wired. I have a tendency to hang onto things.
When the last college football game of the season is played I will dwell on the fact that it's over for several months. It's normally kind of sad. For some ladies it's a happy moment because now, they feel like they have their husband "back" for a while. lol. I do the same thing when I watch the championship game of the NCAA basketball tournament. And... at Christmas... the same thing.
Tonight will be one of those nights.
My middle son, Will, is a senior. This is his last home football game for sure and possibly his last high school football game, period, if the team doesn't win. Will has played 3 years at Paulding county high school. For the last three years, during the fall months, we have normally been at a high school football game on Friday nights. And, that will probably continue even with him graduating because my daughter, Sarah, is a cheerleader.
But, tonight, may bring the curtain down on one season of our life.
If they win they go to the playoffs so we would have one more game.
Tonight, my mind will go back to all the pee wee football games and middle school games. They will go back to team parties. It will go back to yelling like crazy when they won as little kids and hugging them telling them "it's ok" when they lost.
Tonight, Will is going to stand on the field at Paulding county stadium with his mom on one side and me on the other and his name will be called out. They will mention the activities he's been involved in, what his future plans are and folks will applaud. Then, we will take our spot. When it's all over, he will hug his mom and run back to the locker room to get ready for the game.
Then, his team will play Hiram, one of their county rivals. We hope they win. They hope they win. But, when it's over, win, lose or draw, he's still my kid and I'll be proud of him.
One thing I'll remember about his football time... he always ran to his spot. Always. Didn't matter how bad they might be getting beat, he ran to his spot. That made Daddy proud.
Well, the tears are starting.
Already.
And it's just 6:30 e.s.t. on Friday, November 9th. I've got 13 hours to go before game time.
"Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to be the dad of Robert, Will and Sarah Potts."

This entry was posted on 09 November 2007 at Friday, November 09, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment