Posted by Gregg Potts

Graduation day is here.
For the past two weeks, our calendars have been filled with end of school activities. I have cried, and then, I dry those tears only to cry some more and some more. They are tears of sadness, joy, pride... etc... for a son that I'm proud of.
Will has had a good senior year. He leaves behind some great memories at Paulding County High School. It's been a good 3 1/2 years.
Now, he moves on.
In the past couple of weeks, I 've been working through the "letting them grow up and turning them loose" issue. And, the Lord is helping me.
I don't have it whipped by any means but, it's getting better.
I've asked myself, why I'm struggling with this so much. I think it's two things:
1) The hope that you have raised them correctly and done the right things. Will is not "totally raised" by any means but, a big part of it is done. Ok, how did you do?
2) The fact that he will now be moving on. Yes, I know, that's the way it is supposed to be. But, for some reason, I'm struggling with that.
Last Sunday, at a baccalaureate service, the minister said something that hit home for me. He basically said that the issue of letting them go comes down to faith. Trusting God to be with them and help them mature.
He was right. So maybe it's a trust issue. Maybe I'm having problems trusting the Lord to take my son and help him mature as he moves on. If so, Lord forgive me, because I know you are able.
Tonight, I will watch him walk down the aisle and yes, I will tear up again. Then, he will give his speech and I will probably do it again.
Like one of my friends said yesterday, "I'm a proud papa." I can identify. I am as well.
Tonight, William Kirk Potts graduates.
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord; plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11).

This entry was posted on 23 May 2008 at Friday, May 23, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment