Posted by Gregg Potts

"It's the little stuff that makes a difference."

I've heard this phrase many times but about 2 hours ago, it really hit home. I walked into our local Zaxby's. I've eaten there about a jillion times in the last 2 years. Especially since I went on my diet. I order the same thing just about every time; a grilled chicken salad w/ranch dressing, a cup of chicken salad on the side, an order of zax sauce and unsweet tea.

I've ordered that so much that a young lady who works behind the counter can see me in line and behind quoting my order before I give it to her. I've always thought it was kind of funny. I also know it's her way of letting me know that she remembers me and that I'm special. Good customer service, I guess.

Well, today, I walked in and was talking with a friend of mine who is a member of our church. Then, I spoke to Will, my middle son, who was in there with some other kids who had gotten out of school early today because of a candlelight ceremony. After finishing my conversation, I made my way to the line.

As I stood in line, the young lady said "He's already cooked your order."

I asked, "What do you mean?"

The manager was in the kitchen helping prepare orders and he put my salad on the ledge for the young lady to pick it up and said, "I hope you want the same thing. I went ahead and prepared your order." I didn't have to wait 1 minute for my order.

I was stunned. Shocked.

As I ate I thought, "That was neat..." Now , I know.. it also means I'm predictable. But, right now, I'm focusing on the neat side. This guy is doing his best to do a little extra in customer service. As I left, I went to the counter and told the young lady, "Tell your manager I appreciate that." He heard me and said, "We love you and appreciate you."

Well, I know this; he made a friend and solidified a relationship with a customer.

Maybe it doesn't take much to impress me... maybe he's supposed to do that kind of stuff. Maybe so. But, the fact is, he did it.

I was reminded that it's the little things that matter.

So, do something for someone today. Hold a door open. Let someone pull out in traffic ahead of you. Pay for someone's lunch. Write a note of appreciation.

It's the little things that matter.

This entry was posted on 14 May 2008 at Wednesday, May 14, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment