Posted by Gregg Potts

What makes you cry?
As I sit here on Friday morning, I was browsing the web reading various newspapers on-line as I often do. I went to the web site for The Shreveport Times. That's a paper for Shreveport, La. in north Louisiana. It normally has some pretty good articles about L.S.U.
There was an article there about the weekend festivities that will be held at Alex Box stadium. Now, I know that many people... probably most people... could care less about what's going to take place at Alex Box stadium this weekend. For that matter, most people don't even know what Alex Box stadium is. Well, for those of you who need a little more information to help you understand what Alex Box stadium is, it's a baseball field. It's LSU's baseball field. But, it's more than that. It's a place where there has been a lot of exciting baseball in the last, say... 17 years. It's kind of a special place to me.
I can remember going to see the Tigers play in the hot humid days of May and early June as the Tigers hosted an NCAA regional. I can remember taking my two boys, Robert and Will, and standing in front of the big sign in front of the stadium and getting pics made. I remember taking the boys when they were little to the kids camp held on Saturday morning. The only thing that kept me from going more than I did was money and distance. I lived 2 1/2 hours from Baton Rouge so I couldn't go over there at the drop of a hat.
But the times we did go were fun.
So, this morning, when I read the article about this being the final regular season games scheduled at Alex Box I was sad. Then, the article said that "the box" as its referred to by Tiger fans, would be demolished and would become a parking lot. That is sad. To think that a spot where so many great memories were made will be nothing but a parking lot in the future. Wow
It made me sad. And yes, I teared up. Then I asked the question, "I wonder what makes each person cry?"
So, back to the original question; "what makes you cry?"
Sadness makes us cry. Last Friday night, I cried when the last out of our son's last regular season high school baseball game was recorded. At that moment, it hit me how much fun he had experienced at "Patriot field" in the last four years and, the people we had met and enjoyed.
Happiness can also make us cry. Lots of people will shed tears of joy (and relief!) at graduations across the country in the next few weeks.
Anger can make us cry.
The Bible says that "Jesus wept" (John 11:35) at the grave of Lazarus which indicated his love for Lazarus and his family.
The Bible also says that Jesus wept "...as he drew near, He saw the city and wept over it" (Lk. 19:41). The people of Israel had rejected Jesus and he wept because they had rejected their Messiah.
So, what makes you cry? The answer to that question will tell us something about ourselves. Most people won't shed one tear that old Alex Box stadium is being torn down. But Tiger fans will because it's special.
But, Alex Box is just a baseball stadium. We should weep over lost people who reject Christ.

This entry was posted on 09 May 2008 at Friday, May 09, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment