Let's make sure we are investing our money in eternal things  

Posted by Gregg Potts

This morning I made a stop at a convenience store for come coffee. While checking out I noticed a guy with a cap that represented one of the teams playing for the Southeastern Conference Championship. I commented on his cap and we chatted a minute.
As we walked outside he volunteered the information that he had four tickets for the game and, that he had paid $750 per ticket. I was stunned!
$750 per ticket.
Let's see... some quick math reveals that.. hey, buddy.. you have $3,000 wrapped up in this game and you haven't eaten or paid for parking.
$3,000.00 wow... that's a lot of money..
As he got in this vehicle he said "It's a once in a lifetime experience."
Now, I know that at times we pay extra for things because it is a memory making experience. I understand that.
And, 3K may be the going rate for four tickets for a game of this magnitude. I have only been to one game like this so my experience is limited. Several years ago, I was given tickets to the Sugar Bowl when LSU played Illinois. But, I don't think they cost $750 each.
But as I thought about this, I thought how difficult it is to get people to give to missions but this guy is shelling out 3k for a football game.
Actually, I also thought that this guy could be one who would complain if he came to church and the preacher preached on money! ha! Yes, I know, I'm judging a little there. Maybe he wouldn't complain at all.
But what this whole experience taught me is... we spend money on things that are important to us. If we believe in something, we are more likely to shell out.
This guy is shelling out big bucks for tickets.
What will he have to show for it? Well, he will likely spend a day with his family. That's good stuff.
He told me he had three boys so it will be a "father son" day... That's good stuff as well.
They will have lots of memories.. That's good stuff.
They will have pictures... that's good as well.
All of those things are good and.. to this guy, at least, they are worth 3k. But what's important to you? Hopefully reaching people for Jesus is important.
Let's invest in eternity.

This entry was posted on 05 December 2008 at Friday, December 05, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment