Posted by Gregg Potts

Even when we are mis-matched, God still loves us.
I discovered that truth today.
Let me explain.
Have you ever thought you had it "all together" only to discover you really didn't?
Did I hear someone say, "Yeah, that happens to me all the time?" lol
I understand.
This morning, it happened to me...again.
When I'm dressing, I occasionally have a difficult time deciding if I have chosen black or blue socks. To solve the problem, I periodically put them up against somegthing that is black or blue to determine if I have the right color.
This is especially a problem for me on Sunday mornings.
We have an 8:30 service so, I'm dressing early. I'm trying to be quiet because Holli is still sleeping. I go to the sock drawer and hold up the sock to get enough light on it to see if it's black or blue. I face this problem during the week but it's not as important to get the right color socks during the week. But on Sunday morning.... well, you gotta have the right color socks. I mean, just in case folks are looking at your socks instead of listening to the sermon. It's really important to have the right color socks. They teach you that in seminary. It's right there in the book "Dress for Success as a Preacher"; "Thou shalt have matching socks." I'm kidding, of course.
Well, this morning, I went to the sock drawer looking for navy socks. I found a pair and finished dressing. It was only after I sat down in my office that I realized... I had a blue and black sock on. I guess today, I'm dressed versatile!
When I saw the two different color socks, I laughed. I thought I was doing so well and all along, I had two different color socks.
I had driven to work confident my socks matched.
I had greeted people confident, my socks matched.
I felt good about the day confident I had on matching socks.
Now, they don't match. Life's a bummer.
So, even when you think you have it all together, we often don't.
But I think the real question is, "what do you do when you realize you dont' have it all together?"
I think we realize that God loves us even if our socks don't match! Even if we are mis-matched, God still loves us.
So, right now, check your socks. If you made the mistake of putting two different color socks on, take a deep breath and say "Thank you, Lord, for loving me even when my socks don't match!"

This entry was posted on 22 June 2007 at Friday, June 22, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment