Posted by Gregg Potts

Saturday, May 26th, I turned 46.
I wanted to go to McDonald’s and have a party but Holli wouldn’t agree to it!
I wanted to get birthday hats and play in the balls in the play area. I even had those little blow things but I she didn’t think that was a good idea. I even had to take the pony back that I had rented! Just kidding, of course.
There was a time when birthdays were a big, big deal. I wanted to have people over, boil crayfish, barbeque or something. But that’s changed some. I still enjoy getting together with friends but my attitude toward birthdays has changed.
The last couple of year’s birthdays have made me do some reflecting. It’s probably because of the age I’ve reached and I realize I’ve probably lived half of my life if not maybe a little more than half of my life. As I reflected a little on “46” several things came to mind.
First, a key issue I am facing in my life is “I want to live a life that matters.” That translates into, “I don’t want to waste time. I want to make sure that what I’m doing is going to make a difference.”
Second, my family is more important to me than ever before. I love my wife and my three kids. I love it when we can them all together and have a meal and laugh.
Third, I love my wife. Holli is my strength where I am weak. She knows me, at times, better than I know myself. Outside of the Lord, she is my best friend.
Fourth, as I evaluate what I think are my strengths, the passion for preaching and teaching is prominent. I enjoy encouraging people and motivating. I enjoy meeting people.
Fifth, I enjoy reading and learning. I love sitting in my favorite chair with a good book and learning something new.
Sixth, I love the Lord. It still amazes me that God called me, a farm boy, to preach His gospel.
Seventh, I love living in north Georgia. I’m already looking forward to the fall and seeing the beautiful fall foliage.
Eighth, I can’t believe I have a boy who will be a senior next year. And, I have a daughter who will be a freshman in high school. Because of that, I want to spend as much as possible with my kids and family.
Ninth, I want to be myself. Deep within me, I have a desire to be a “people pleaser.” But doing that has for years, created some conflict in my heart. Several years ago, God began helping me to see the need to be myself and think for myself. I have learned the hard way that you are never going to make everyone happy. If you have to behave in a certain manner or think in a certain manner to be someone’s friend then, they are not really a friend. So, you try to do what’s right, work hard and be honest and trust the Lord with the results. That’s what I’ve begun doing in my life and as a pastor.

This entry was posted on 04 June 2007 at Monday, June 04, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment