Posted by Gregg Potts

My television watching largely consists of ESPN, CNN, The History channel and trying to find a good movie periodically. I'm not much of a sitcom or reality tv guy. Each night, I will typically sit down and scan the channels to see what's on that, in my opinion, is worth watching. A good western normally normally stirs my interest!
Last night, Braveheart was on. I noticed that it hadn't been on but about 25 minutes so, I figured I hadn't missed too much so I started watching it. Like I said earlier, I'm not a big tv guy but, a good movie helps to transport me from my world into another world and sometimes, I need that. Sometimes, I need to stop thinking about things that's bothering me and a good movie helps me do that. I was a little down last night until I saw that Braveheart was on.
I love good quotes or lines from movies. (I'm always looking for sermon material...lol). There are several good lines from Braveheart.
On one occasion, Robert Bruce, the king of Scotland's son and the heir to the throne, was struggling with a decision. As the king observed this he said "Leadership is hard." Amen to that! It is challenging.
On another, William Wallace is encouraging Robert Bruce to lead. He says "leadership takes courage." I can agree with that one too. It's not always popular to make the tough decisions.
But the quote that I think I remember most from Braveheart is when William Wallace is in prison awaiting his death. He is visited by the wife of the heir to the throne of England. She pleads with him to beg for mercy and live and not die. William Wallace responds, "All men must die but not everyone lives." He was willing to die for the possibility of freedom for Scotland.
"All men must die but not everyone lives." That's a strong statement. Are you living? Or, perhaps the better way of asking that question is, "what are you living for?" What matters to you? All of us have things we are passionate about. We need to make sure we are passionate about things that matter.

This entry was posted on 14 June 2007 at Thursday, June 14, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment