Posted by Gregg Potts

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven..."
In my life, I am experiencing the end of a season today. Last night, the ' 07 high school baseball season came to an end for my sons team, the Paulding County Patriots. It was an emotional night.
It was senior night. That's always good for a bucket or two of tears as moms and dads watch their boys, some whom have been playing organized ball for several years, receive recognition at the conclusion of their high school careers. But the emotion that was experienced last night was for more than just senior night.
Last night marked the end of a "season" of life for me and for others. For five years Coach Ryan Zaideman has been the head baseball coach at Paulding County. Two weeks ago, "Coach Z" announced his resignation effective at the end of this school year. He is the only high school coach my son has known. So, in that respect, this is the end of a "season of life" in our lives.
But in addition to Coach Z leaving, several parents that Holli and I have gotten to know over the last three years will be leaving as well. Their sons are seniors. So, next year, some faces that have been in the crowd at PC baseball games won't be there. Some of them read this blog and they know who they are. So, in that respect this is the end of a "season in life" in our lives.
In addition to Coach Z, a couple of the assistant coaches are leaving. It will be different looking over at the dugout next year and not seeing some familiar faces.
For three years I have had the priviledge of serving as chaplain of the baseball team. It's been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed getting to know the boys on the team. I have enjoyed working with Coach Z. I hope to continue in this role under the new coach but that will be left up to whomever the new coach is.
But, the boys who are seniors will move on to college and begin a new "season" in life. They will meet new friends and several of them will be playing baseball in college. While their memories of baseball at PC will always be special, they will make new memories.
"Coach Z" and the assistant coaches will move on to the next phase of life for them. They will coach new boys and meet new parents and invest their lives in other teams.
And, next year, there will be some new faces in the crowd at PC baseball games. Some of those will belong to the parents of kids who played junior varsity this year. They will move up, there parents will step up and life will move on.
But last night, I wanted to capture that moment. Lots and lots of pictures were taken. Tears were shed. Words of encouragement were spoken. It was a sweet moment.
There is a popular pop song that is played along with a collection of highlights from the NCAA basketball tournament every year. I think it would have been appropriate to play last night. The song is entitled "One Moment In Time."
It goes like this;
"Each day I live I want to be a day to give the best of me
I'm only one, but not alone
My finest day is yet unknown I broke my heart for every gain
To taste the sweet, I faced the pain I rise and fall,
Yet through it all this much remains I want one moment in time
When I'm more than I thought I could be
When all of my dreams Are a heart beat away
And the answers are all up to me
Give me one moment in time When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time I will feel, I will feel eternity."

Last night was one special "moment in time" in my life. But, by the grace of God, there will be other moments.
"God, thank you, for making this season of my life as special as it has been."

This entry was posted on 03 May 2007 at Thursday, May 03, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment