Posted by Gregg Potts

Have you ever had a plan that you thought was good but for some reason God didn't open the doors necessary to carry the plan out?
King David had a moment like that.
I Chronicles 28:2-3 quotes David as saying, "I had intended to build a permanent home for the ark of the covenant of the LORD and for the footstool of our God. So I had made preparations to build it. But God said to me, 'You shall not build a house for My name because you are a man of war and have shed blood."
Notice those words But God said to me. A conjunction in a sentence can represent a roadblock in life.
"I had planned to do this but God re-directed me."
"I had planned to major in this field of study in college but God changed my direction."
Have you ever had a but God moment?
I have.
Early in my ministry I was notified that a youth position in a larger church in our area was open and I was asked if I was interested. Sure, I was interested. This was like a dream!
However, at that point in my life God was beginning to re-direct me to the pastorate. If I had taken the position at the larger church I would not have had many opportunities to preach. I knew that but at the time, it didn't matter. I was enamored with the position.
I interviewed for the position but nothing ever happened. No phone call. No letter. No nothing.
After weeks had passed I finally learned the church went in a different direction. I was a little stung. I wanted that position and couldn't understand what I did wrong.
Well, I hadn't done anything wrong. God was just preparing to open another door for me; the door into my first pastorate.
In September of 1984 God sent a pulpit committee to hear me and the church eventually extended a call to me to become their pastor. That was the first of five churches I have pastored throughout my ministry.
I had wanted to take the youth position, but God closed one door because another door was about to open.
Maybe you have had a plan recently that didn't work like you had hoped it would. Perhaps you have gotten a little discouraged or frustrated. Know this; God loves you and wants the best for you. The but God moments are key moments in our lives. If you have had a but God moment recently, trust the Lord to do what's best for you.

This entry was posted on 01 May 2007 at Tuesday, May 01, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

When I look back on my life I have had "but God" moments and didn't know it. However when I finally built a relationship with God I realized He had guided me in several directions.

10:25 AM

Post a Comment